Saturday, January 30, 2010

PB Knock-off - Dottie Ribbon Frames Gone Vintage

Photobucket
First of all, I went to the 99cent store to see if they had any cute frames! And boy did they ever! I found these frame sets with a larger frame and a smaller frame for 99cents of course! That was an awesome deal!

Anyway...I had been looking through the PBTeen catalog and saw these cute little frame sets, attached to a ribbon - original price $35 but on sale for $29. They were a little on the kiddish side - thus being shown in the PBTeen catalog - duh right?!? lol

I figured I could put my own little spin on these using the little frames that I just aquired from the 99cent store!
First, I removed the back piece from each of the frames.











Then I removed the glass and the backings from each of the frames. I used Valspar Antiquing Glaze to make these little white frames look more vintage. First you just brush it on...

And then wipe it off...leaving a little bit of the color in all the nooks and crannies...












To make the ribbon backing - It takes about 3 yds of ribbon. Cut three pieces of ribbon about 32 inches long each. I made a loop at the top of each of the pieces, securing it with a couple staples.














Then I made three bows and glued one bow at the base of each of the loops using hot glue (this also covers up the staples).




Now you just need to attach the frames to the ribbons, making sure they are spaced out evenly. Once you have the frames attached to the ribbons (and you have pictures inside your frames - unlike mine which are naked on the wall right now!), hang your Vintage Ribbon Frames on the wall - I spaced mine out approximately 6 inches apart from the loop at the top.


Here's What the original looked like again from the catalog...

And here's the finished project...


In all this set of 3 Vintage Ribbon Frames cost me approx $5!

This Post Linked to:
Crafts in Bloom AND

Met Monday - BNOTP AND

Funky Junk Interiors AND

Thrifty Decor Chick AND

My Frugal Family AND

Today's Creative Blog AND

Show & Tell @ Blue Criket Design

19 comments:

  1. Love it, might even have to try this myself very soon. Need to get to the dollar store first!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Margo - now I'm trying to find pictures to fill them with...so they aren't naked anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I am in love with Pottery Barn, so I am always happy to find a way to do it cheaper!
    I'm visiting from Thrify Decor Chick!
    wwww.attemptingtobecrafty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. They came out great! Thanks for the tutorial!

    Cheers!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. They turned out great. Thanks for the tutorial on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job - I think I like yours better !
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look great! Thanks for the tutorial! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome job! Great knock-off! It will look even better with pictures in it:) I featured this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This turned out cute. Your tutorial was well done, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful job. And so inexpensive. What great tutorial photos. thanks for sharing :)

    ~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found my way here via Someday Crafts..and wanted to tell you how much I love this idea. Tomorrow,I will get myself to the Dollar store to pick up some frames. Thanks to your inspiration,I have plans to make pretties for grandaughters dorm rooms. Thank you so much for the idea..

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute love it when you can get the same look at PB but at a more affordable price!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love them...these would look perfect in my soon to be made over guest room! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like yours better than PB...great job...come say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it- these are great!

    Thank you so much for stopping by the Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family link party, and adding this to the page! Don’t forget to stop back next week to see which links from this week are featured, and to add your new links!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is great! and i love the different shapes of your frames. so eye catching!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job! I like your's better than their's! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are darling! I love the dollar store, seriously great finds there.

    ReplyDelete