Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Menu White Board

First things first! I got this idea from one of my favorite sites Shanty2Chic
The girls over there made this cute picture holder and when I saw it...the light bulb exploded in my head!

I have a list in the kitchen of 12 main dishes for dinner. In my house on any given day - I have the ingredients to make those 12 main dishes - that way, if we need a quick idea for dinner - or if it is one of the princes turn to make dinner they can choose any one of those dishes. I keep this list on a white board on the counter in the kitchen...and I've kinda tucked it away in the corner because, although it was practical - IT WAS UGLY! I'm sorry I don't have a picture of the before - I got so excited about making it Crafty Chic I tore it apart in about 2 minutes flat!
But, I did take pictures for a step by step of how I made it...

Here's the stuff I used for this project. I started with the piece of white board stuff (which was basically a piece of white tin) and made my measurements for the wood and square dowel off of that. The back piece I made 1 1/2 inches larger all around and the square dowel 1 1/2 inches longer than the back wood piece.


The finial that I got (at Lowe's) had to be screwed in...so I drilled a hole in the top of the square dowel...put a little Loctite Epoxy on the top of the dowel and then screwed the finial down tight.



Then I used the epoxy to attche the dowel to the round base.

Next I used the epoxy and put it on the square dowel and then centered the back board on the dowel...let this completely dry before starting to paint.

Once the epoxy sets up (I used 5 minute epoxy - so about 5 minutes...) paint the entire piece with Americana Lamp (ebony) Black acrylic paint which I got at Michael's.

Again...let the paint dry completely before distressing it or you'll peel up the paint. I used a medium grit sand paper block and distressed the edges and spots on the finial, dowel and round base.


Then I attached the white board to the back wood piece using Gorilla Super Glue. Not alot of room for error when placing this down...so be careful. Let this dry a minute. At Walmart I found the cutest tacks that I thought would be awesome in the four corners. I just used a tiny, tiny drill to put holes in the corners and put a drop of Gorilla Super Glue in the holes and then put in the tacks.

The set of tacks had 8 included, I used a grinder to grind off the pointy part of the leftover four tacks. The I super glued magnets to the backs.


I also glued a magnet to a dry erase pen so that I didn't have to search all over for one - it would be right there with the board.




So here's the final project! Hope you like it! I love it and it is proudly displayed on the counter and not tucked in the corner anymore.




3 comments:

  1. Love all organization ideas... great way to make it work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this project, thank you so much for the step by step and the great pictures so that I can see how it came together!

    ReplyDelete